Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Day 141

Not a bad day at work at all. I'm learning a lot of new techniques and I'm being called on to do the more creative side of web work: graphics and layout. That's the fun stuff to me.

Not much else to mention really.

Well, not much if you don't count the fact that I really have a taste for upper level leadership here. It's not a lust for power or anything like that. I really couldn't care less about being other people's boss. It's about a firm belief that my disposition is suited to be in a position of authority because I know that I can inspire people to do the best work they've ever done while still maintaining positive morale.

I don't get caught up in office drama, I don't allow interpersonal differences to affect my judgment or behavior, I don't let petty things stress me out, and I care far more about my wife and son than I do about my own positional advancement.

I know I still need time.

There are patterns in my mind which I need to make sure are under control or entirely eradicated.

Sticking to my guns on my eating and exercise habits is helping, but it's admittedly easy to do considering that the alternative is a marked decline in quality and possibly quantity of life.

I may not love love (redundancy is intentional) my life, yet, but that doesn't mean that I want to stop living it.

I don't really have a bucket list, but I do know that I don't want to check out before I've seen my son well on his way to being the best he can be, whatever that is.

I also want to see my wife happy, truly happy, for once. She deserves some real satisfaction out of life especially for the way she treats me. 10 years on and I still look forward to going home at the end of every work day to be welcomed by her smile and warm embrace, etc. *wink*

About the walking, I guess you could say that I have been inspired by Cake, the band, not the food: I'm going for distance, I'm going for speed.

There's really no need for me to walk for almost 2 hours if my intensity level is this high.

My standard duration was 90+ minutes, but since I've blasted past my first two goals and can hit the 5 mile mark in less than 70 minutes at my current pace, I've decided it's time for a new goal.

I know it will be a challenge, but I want to hit the 5 mile mark in 60 minutes or less, without breaking into a run.

I was able to keep up the 5mph pace for a quarter mile last night, even longer back at the Hilton, but there's no denying that it's going to be a bit of a challenge.

It's not at all impossible though. Race walker paces are so fast that they could beat Army run time requirements without ever breaking stride.

I can hardly imagine doing a 7 or 8 minute mile WALK.

I'm going to have to alter my techniques. Shorter strides, more pelvic motion, push off from the ball of the foot, not the toes....

With my lower back as screwy as it's been since my mishap in 1997-8 this will be interesting, but I know I can do it.

I'm going to start posting exact times, minutes and seconds, as I progress. I may go for longer distances soon, especially if I plan on participating in organized events.

This is now my lifestyle.

Day 141: 5 miles in 68m44s.

No comments: