Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Day 119

December 6.

First day at the Pentagon. I'm officially stoked to be here.

First day in a suit in a very long time as well.

My new boss walked me around to the various people I needed to meet to get in-processed. Everyone was very cool.

I can tell already that people love working here and are generally in good spirits. Sure, the pace is fast, the work is intense, and the demand for excellence is unparalleled, but those are precisely the things that this caliber of people look for in a career.

There are personality conflicts, as there are, everywhere, but they seem to be kept in check. There's really no tolerance for BS here. Suits me just fine since the scratch test showed definitively that I'm allergic to it.

I got a chance to walk around a bit and see some of the things that were closed on Saturday when we came in for our tour.

They really have everything just about you could possibly need here. The things I expected to see, like a barber shop, snack shops, and ATMs, are here, but I never expected to see a full blown Best Buy in here. The list of shops and restaurants is almost too long to post.

I was able to get my Virginia driver license here!

Anyway, without computer access there really wasn't much else I could do at work so I dipped out a bit early.

I did get my pass for the apartment complex gym, but the hours are really not as convenient as I'd like. The only times I'd be able to go on a work day would be immediately after work or right after dinner.

I guess that's not so bad if I get off of work early enough, and at some point it may come to that, but I really want to spend my evenings with my family, not by myself walking nowhere really fast.

Day 119: A couple of miles through the halls of the Pentagon.

No comments: